May 9, 2007

A series of unfortunate knitting events

When last we left "Dayflower Lace," it had just been ripped back to the top of the lace. My original sketch (see here) had featured a single repeat of the lace up the upper center front, and an interesting cross between a V and a square neck. I had discarded this idea because I wasn't sure how I would finish the edge, wasn't sure how the wavy lace would look in a single repeat with stockinette on each side, etc.

But then I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a shot...but I had already decreased within each lace repeat, so to continue the single lace panel up the front, I didn't see any option but to rip back below the decreases (luckily just a couple of rows) and then redo the decreases, EXCEPT for the one center front panel. I had decided to go back to the eyelet holes and twisted cord belt to create a close underbust fit, but then, as shown above, I thought I would also try some columns of openwork within the underbust band.

Well. I completely forgot about the effect that nearby YOs and decreases have on the accent ridge, and in this case, it's not even a nice regular wave, but a lumpy-bumpy mess. Plus I don't like that additional openwork.

Lest you think I'm the Lemony Snicket of the CAL, I'll leave you with this photo: yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! You seem to be really good at turning lemons into lemonade, which I think is really important for a knitwear designer. Good job!

Ruinwen said...

I love watching you work through each of your knitting hurdles! :)

SwetPMnkyGrl said...

I feel your froggin' pain