Jun 4, 2007

Sunflower Cami - back to work!

Hey there, remember me? :) My most recent CAL post was two months ago - I didn't realize it had been so long! But in between, I wrote my Masters thesis, and I hardly knit at all during that time period.

I've picked up the sunflower cami again though, and I'm really excited about it! Before my hiatus, I made a swatch and found that I really liked the fabric created by Calmer knit at 5.5 stitches per inch. (Just a little reminder - always write down what size needle you swatch with! Otherwise you might think you knit your swatch on 8s when you actually used 7s and then you will wonder why the 3" that you've knit so far look gigantic.) I decided to knit the front first and use it as a general template to find the optimal placement of the flower on the back -- which meant that I had to figure out the neckline.

My first thought was to give the sweater a really deep V, where the point would hit around the bra band. This neckline seems trendy right now and I think it would be flattering to a variety of body types. However, such a low V requires a plain camisole underneath, and Calmer is so soft that I wanted to be able to wear it right next to my skin. I considered a higher V but it struck me as a little boring - been there, done that! The back of the shirt will provide a strong visual impact and the front should be just as striking without taking over the spotlight.

After a few more sketches and swatches, I decided on a deep keyhole neckline with a frog closure at the top.

sketch for front of sunflower cami

I think that this will work really well with the back - it's clean but it's interesting. (And sexy!) I'm going to finish the neckline and armholes with applied i-cord, and I'll probably reinforce the sides of the keyhole somehow so the fabric doesn't stretch too much at the closure point. I am still up in the air about the bottom edge, so I borrowed Marnie's technique of starting with a provisional cast-on, as you can see here:

front of sunflower cami

I sort of want to put a leafy lace edging along the bottom to go with the flower but I'm worried it might be too busy. When I get to that point, I will probably swatch and see. Otherwise, I could finish the bottom with more applied i-cord or a little ribbing.

As for the back, I think I've finalized my sunflower design! Here is half of it (again with a provisional cast-on):

half-sunflower swatch

It's a circle inside, a hexagon outside, and the proportions resemble a sunflower. Perfect!

7 comments:

Susie Cupcakes said...

I like your keyhole plan--unusual and pretty. And the sunflower is just gorgeous!

Marnie said...

Congrats on completing your thesis. It sounds like as good a reason as any not to knit.
Your pieces are looking great. I love keyhole necklines, they are very flattering.

EDNA HART said...

Such an interesting design. Basic shape with wonderful details...and Congratulations on finishing your thesis.

Iris G said...

Since I am quite new here, I flipped through the earlier posts and read about how you got the perfect sunflower motif, and that was truly amazing! And I have a "thing" for keyhole designs ;-)
and, congrats on your thesis.

Ruinwen said...

After reading how you came up with the sunflower design I have to say it is just beautiful! I love the key hole for the front too. I can't wait to see it finished! :)

Nonnahs said...

I think the keyhole is going to look really cute. And your sunflower motif is lovely! Can't wait to see it all put together!

Joanna said...

Thanks!! I've completed the front and I'm at that point on the back where I need to plan out my hexagonal hole - mathland here I come. :)