Apr 5, 2007

It's me again

Another thing about me. I like to post a lot. More progress on my loverly shirt. I've been trying to think of a nice name for it. No luck as of yet. Anyway, suggestions are welcome.

I got up to the under bust band and am trying out the knitted casing like someone suggested...(Marnie maybe? I'm too tired to go look ;P ) but I don't know if it was the increases I did (M1) but it is leaving a rather unsightly line in my knitting. I am not so sure I like that. So before I rip it all out... suggestions? Comments? If I take it out I think I will just leave it plain, in pattern and forget trying to put anything there. The thing is I really wanted something to distinguish it from the top. Maybe if I kept going in the ribbing on the sides...and did the seed stitch again (like I did at the bottom of the stockinette) on the stockinette section...hmmm I might have to try that. I love seed stitch.

Ok well here's a pic so you all can see what I mean. They aren't the greatest but you can still see it.

5 comments:

Laritza said...

The problem is with the way you increase. Try increasing by picking up the strand between the two stitches and knitting it as a twisted stitch. There are different ways to increase, some show more than others. Or if you did it that way, pickup the new stitch from the bump in the adjacent stitch in the previous row.

Marnie said...

A knit and purl in the same stitch would also work, as long as you move the purl to the back and keep the knit in front. But yes, different increases will be more successful than others. At this point, I'd suggest swatching a few things instead of ripping and knitting the whole circumferences of your piece to find the perfect treatment. I think you'll find that a swatch is sufficient to determine if the effect is what you want.

Joanna said...

For a knitted casing, I would use a knit-front-and-back increase. The stitches that were knit through the front loop will form the front of the casing, and the stitches that were knit through the back loop will form the back. It's very similar to the knit-and-purl increase that Marnie described except you don't have to keep moving your working yarn forwards and backwards and forwards and backwards again.

Hattie said...

Well the increase I used was the one where you pick up and knit it twisted. I'll have to swatch then I suppose. I didn't know if the different increases would make much of a difference, or if it would still look funny. I'll try it though and see how it turns out.

Julia (MindofWinter) said...

Different treatments will show to varying degrees - I think I'd start with the kfb method. I'm going to employ knitted casings myself, and that's the one I plan to try first. One thing you may want to do is take advantage of the fact that the casing is visible by making it decorative in some way. You might be able to do something with the stitch pattern in that area that echoes other elements of your design. My casings are for ties, so I'm considering using eyelets at regular intervals - we'll see...